What is Coaching?
In its simplest form, parent coaching is an open, honest and confidential conversation between two people.
It is a journey of self-discovery that you embark on to resolve issues that you feel may be holding you back or that make your life less than what you want it to be.
In a nutshell, parent coaching is all about where you are now, where you want to be and how you get there.
Coaching is not:
- Sports Coaching – which helps you to achieve better results in a chosen sport
- Counselling – which is a process that helps you come to terms with a situation that has happened and often delves into your past to seek answers for your present situation
- Therapy – in which the therapist does all the work and does something to you
- Mentoring – which is when a more experienced person passes on their wisdom and/or knowledge to you as their apprentice, trainee, etc.
- Critical or Judgemental – which means you don’t need to beat yourself up over anything past or present
- Prescriptive – meaning it isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ process
- It is all about Y-O-U!
- You are in the driver’s seat – our agenda is your agenda
- You can only begin where you are now
- You take responsibility for your own actions and their results
- Our direction is forward-moving
- It is ok not to know all of the answers – sometimes it is very good not to know any!
There is no right or wrong.
- There are simply actions that produce results which you label ‘right’ if they are what you want and expect
- Each reality is viewed from your own unique perspective
- You discover how to turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones
- You open yourself up to the possibilities
Coaching results are not guaranteed but you must commit to fully participating and being responsible for creating your own results.
Coaching is in no way a substitute for psychological counseling and/or therapy, any other type of therapy or mental health services.
‘Sometimes the only form of transportation is a leap of faith.’ – Anonymous