In its simplest form, parent coaching is an open, honest and confidential conversation between two people.
It is a journey of self-discovery that you embark on to resolve issues that you feel may be holding you back or that make your life less than what you want it to be.
In a nutshell, parent coaching is all about where you are now, where you want to be and how you get there.
Coaching is not:
- Sports Coaching – which helps you to achieve better results in a chosen sport
- Counselling – which is a process that helps you come to terms with a situation that has happened and often delves into your past to seek answers for your present situation
- Therapy – in which the therapist does all the work and does something to you
- Mentoring – which is when a more experienced person passes on their wisdom and/or knowledge to you as their apprentice, trainee, etc.
- Critical or Judgemental – which means you don’t need to beat yourself up over anything past or present
- Prescriptive – meaning it isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ process
- It is all about Y-O-U!
- You are in the driver’s seat – our agenda is your agenda
- You can only begin where you are now
- You take responsibility for your own actions and their results
- Our direction is forward-moving
- It is ok not to know all of the answers – sometimes it is very good not to know any!
There is no right or wrong.
- There are simply actions that produce results which you label ‘right’ if they are what you want and expect
- Each reality is viewed from your own unique perspective
- You discover how to turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones
- You open yourself up to the possibilities
Coaching is in no way a substitute for psychological counseling and/or therapy, any other type of therapy or mental health services.
Sometimes the only form of transportation is a leap of faith. – Anonymous