As you’re reading this, it’s highly likely that you are a special parent too.
This makes us connected in a way that’s difficult to explain… yet easy to feel.
This is my story ~ My ‘Why’.
“Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans” (John Lennon)
I’m a credentialed ACC Certified Coach via The International Coach Federation (ICF), but the most important thing about me is that I’m a mom.
More specifically a preemie and special needs mom, what I call a ‘special parent’.
My life’s view had been to always have the glass half full rather than half empty perspective, but our son’s extremely early birth at 24 weeks, and subsequent blindness, challenged this view in every way – and left me empty emotionally.
How could I be emotionally healthy when I felt emotionally empty?
I felt completely lost, alone and overwhelmed.
We had entered these strange, abnormal and surreal worlds of prematurity and special needs – a place few parents even know exists, let alone think they will go there.
Running on fumes, life continued around me and I attempted to continue to function in it. But, I wasn’t emotionally healthy, although I didn’t know that I wasn’t at the time.
Additionally, the systems around me, like family and work, were not equipped to fully understand me, how I was feeling, let alone know how to support me.
Inspiring Positive Change
I vowed to change this narrative, initially for myself, and later for other NICU parents.
Inspired by our son, by his special journey, and our own journey as his ‘special parents’ – Families Blossoming was born.
Families Blossoming programs continue helping ‘special parents’ to blossom and thrive.
We’ve grown over the years to include coaching and support for:
- ‘traditional’ parents, feeling overwhelmed by the pressures of parenting.
- professionals, experiencing emotional burn-out within the workplace.
- and organizations, who want to support the emotional health and well-being of caregiver employees but don’t know how
- From mechanical engineering (not finishing) to an MSc (London School of Economics and Political Science)
- From several pregnancy losses to being the mother of an incredible son born at 24 weeks weighing 645 grams
- From a Neurology Occupational Therapist to a Professional Life Coach (sprinkled with Therapy and Project Management in between)
- From taking what I see for granted to realizing that you don’t need sight to see what’s/who’s important -you have your heart for that (1 of the many lessons I’ve learned from my son who’s blind)
- From a small-town girl in the USA to a world traveler (25 countries and counting….)
- From working solely with individuals to providing a bespoke service for large national organizations
- From a land of physical plenty to a land of physical want (mission/charity work in Central America) – but realizing the latter were far richer due to their built-in emotional support
- From Fear to Leaps of Faith
This is only part of my story (the rest can be told when we meet) – but it’s the part that shows that life can be ever-changing, unpredictable, scary and emotionally chaotic. Yet life can also be positive, liberating, empowering and transformative.
This is also the part of my story that I bring to you or your organization.
This is a story of vulnerability coupled with strength that equals compassion, authenticity and truth! My story helps me to tune in to the beat of your drums and hear your story while simultaneously pushing you past your status quo towards awesomeness!
What else should you know?
If you’re ready to book a complimentary 20 minute discovery session to chat through your coaching needs with me, you can do that here.
If you’ve read about Families Blossoming, know what I do and who I help, or you’re interested in one of my coaching programs, but you still have unanswered questions, then please go ahead and get in touch here.